SPIGHT'S SUPERETTE

horizontal rule

J. H. Spight celebrated his fifty-fourth year in business in Demopolis this month.  His is one of the oldest grocery firms in this section of Alabama.

Mr. Spight came to Demopolis from Uniontown in 1901 to join his uncle, the late W. H. Welch, and the late J. A. Hudson in the business known as Hudson & Welch. He later bought the interest of Mr. Welch and the firm name was changed to Hudson & Spight.  Several Years later Mr. Spight bought the grocery and dry goods store of J.C. Kelly and established the J. H. Spight Grocery. The Hudson store became J. A. Hudson & Son.

The J. H. Spight Grocery was located for eight years on Strawberry Street, where the TV-Radio Service and Southern Finance are now located.  More than 30 years ago the business was moved to its present location on Washington Street where it has operated continuously since that time.

Two years ago the store was changed to a cash and carry business and Mr. Spight sold his market department to T. H. Barnes, who had been connected with him for 27 years.  The store is now operated as Spight's Superette.

Mr. Spight has seen grocery stores come and go in Demopolis for more than 50 years.  Through his fine character, good service, quality merchandise and a general interest in the people whom he has served, plus hard and conscientious work.  Mr. Spight has always been one of the most popular grocers in Demopolis.

The Demopolis Times
1955